Whether you are a single parent or have a large family, there is an urgent need for your help in parenting TFC children on their road to permanency. There simply aren’t enough parents yet to fill this need.
Taking a therapeutic foster child in your home is a labor of love and compassion for someone who desperately needs that help. TFC parents are community heroes whose dedication to this task has already changed the lives of many children in Los Angeles and beyond.
Getting started might seem daunting at first, but you’ll have assistance every step of the way. And, if you change your mind during the process, there is no obligation to continue.
Here are the first steps:
- Contact Extraordinary Families and talk about your interest;
- We will refer you to one of our extraordinary agencies;
- Talk with an agency representative to determine if that agency is a good fit for you;
- Attend a TFC orientation session to learn about the basic requirements and challenges involved in TFC work
Once you’ve chosen an agency to work with, they will help guide you through the training and certifications necessary to be eligible to take a child into your home. These include:
- Applications and interviews;
- A home safety inspection;
- Up to 60 hours of pre-certification training;
- A background check;
- Dual certification for TFC foster care and adoption;
- Participation in a support group.
Remember, you’ll have help every step of the way and can withdraw at any time. There are still other ways you can help TFC children without actually taking a child in your home..
Thank you for your interest in therapeutic foster care.